July 22, 2008

Open Source Developers are Amazing

I started writing Parcellite when I was a full time student, with little responsibilities. I was able to dedicate a large amount of time to carefully writing, testing, and debugging my little program during the week. Now that I have a full time job, I realize just how much dedication and effort other open source developers have to write great applications in what little free time they have. I am finding that either new responsibilities (which came with living my myself) and other interests (gaming/girlfriend) have kept me from quickly progressing on my program.

I have come up with an idea though: I will attempt to code 1 hour a day, every day. Be it a variable name change, testing a new function, fix comments, anything. As long as I keep myself busy with it, I'll be able to reach the goals that I have for this project in a reasonable amount of time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Xyhthyx,

that's what try too, getting the things done just step by step.
BTW: I did a step for you and send you an german translation of the svn tree.

David Carson said...

Lots of us appreciate the effort of devs like you. Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Xyhthyx,

just installed your Parcellite on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit and it does what it should.

Thanks!

I got sick and tired of the Gnome Glipper, even version 1.0, which for example does not allow to copy/paste images while it is running.

Anonymous said...

I have recently installed Parcellite and it works very nicely.

It would be nice to have it in the repositories:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages

Deadline for Intrepid Ibex is 28th August, but GNOME definitely needs it...

Thanks for the big job!

Xyhthyx said...

Thanks all for the positive feedback. I have released 0.8 and set a few features as goals for the following 0.9 and 1.0 releases.